Conversations with Managing Directors, senior leaders and their people often reveal that they feel good ‘followship’ helps teams – at all levels – to advance their effectiveness. Good followship, especially by team members, is an ability to: promote team bonds, take direction well, actively support the team tasks, and deliver what is required.
The importance of both leadership and followship – and therefore, effective teamwork – is powerfully encapsulated by Rudyard Kipling in the first stanzas of his poem ‘The Pack’:
Now this is the law of the jungle, as old and true as the sky,
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk, the law runneth forward and back;
For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Kipling neatly sums up the importance of social bonds and social cohesion to team performance. His poem underlines that repercussions from poor team social cohesion can be far reaching, fatal in fact.
J.R. Kipling (1865-1936) is a well known late Victorian poet and story-teller. He won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1907. All Kipling’s major work remains in print. Kipling’s writing for children is still popular perhaps best represented by ‘The Jungle Book’ (1894) and inspired the film by Walt Disney Productions in 1967(2).
Reach us at 07779 345 499, firstname.lastname@example.org
T: 07779 345 499
We have experience in developing senior managers and their team members – both on an individual and team level – so they can develop practical approaches that encourage positive, constructive behaviour. This, in turn, leads to the development of positive beliefs and values. We are ready work with you, to help you get the best out of your people.
Here are some examples of approaches that can be used and tailored to your individual needs:
- Certified ACT practioner
- Support if you are being bullied, or have a member of your organisation who has made a bullying complaint
- Certified Mediation practioner, to address workplace conflict,
- Personal development activities
- Individual and group coaching…Coaching – a powerful way of developing people
- Psychometric assessment, which can identify strengths as well as derailing behaviours and also include 360 degree feedback
- Structured module for understanding the psychological contracts in your organisation, both at an individual or team level
- Straight Talking: …Straight Talking create change through conversations
- Special projects, secondments and assignments
- Image courtesy of stockimages at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
- “Thejunglebook movieposter” by Source. Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thejunglebook_movieposter.jpg#/media/File:Thejunglebook_movieposter